Sunday 14 August 2011

First Match Day!


August 13th, 2011

Today is the day. I am so antsy I woke up at seven in the morning and could not go back to sleep. It is the first game day and I could not be happier for this moment because I never thought this would ever happen. This is the first stage in hopefully a long, successful process for me. I know it will be small baby steps but I am just ready to start my playing career in the UK. Another exciting factor was that we got our kit today, which I must say, is the best kit I have ever had. It was just the practice and warm up kit (the game kit is at the field when we get there) but man it looks sharp. It is time for me to head on out; hopefully we get a win on the first day



August 13th, 2011-continued

Well that was quite an experience I must say. I played with the second years (first division team) at South Leeds Stadium and it was a beautiful stadium (for pictures click here). It was about a twenty minute drive to the stadium so that was a nice way for me to get to see some of Leeds. Our stadium was right next to Leeds United Stadium and LU had a home game today so it was buzzing all over the area. It was crazy to see all the Leeds fans outside the stadium supporting the club they loved and looking at the stadium reminded me of how far I have come and how one day I could be playing at that level, in that big of a stadium. As for the game, we were not playing boys; we were playing, ugly, nasty, dirty, 200 pound, missing teeth, physical, men.  The team we were playing finished third in this league last year. We were coming in as the young, college, American kids, with the nice uniforms, boots, and warm up kits so from the beginning they were out to get us. And within 15 minutes of the game one of starting strikers was taken down from a nasty tackle from behind and will probably be out for at least two to three weeks. I played a decent game for my first game in the UK, but it was a tough match to play when it was more of a physical, pushing, shoving match then actual football. And because of that there were moments when they dominated us but overall we hit the post once, almost scored off their keeper’s mistake, and caught them off a kick free kick but couldn’t put it home. Overall they did not have any clear scoring chances and it was an interesting experience to see how physical the lower levels of English football were. After the game they served us food at the stadium and our choices were a chip sandwich (French fries sandwich) or a Meat pie covered with smushed peas...welcome to classic English food!!!! I can tell you as of now I am so sore and tomorrow I probably will not be able to move. A lot of the guys are going out to some clubs tonight in downtown Leeds so that should be an exciting adventure as it will be my first night out in Leeds. I have another game either Monday or Wednesday (or maybe both). It is time for football to totally take over my life. I am just so blessed and happy for the opportunity I have and appreciate all the support from my friends and family back home.  Love and miss all of you guys! 


2 Comments:

At 18 August 2011 at 06:36 , Blogger Coach Mario said...

Hey Adam, Coach mario here...so glad to hear that things are going well for you. Mason told me about your blog page and your life sounds really exciting!!
Thanks for helping Mason out while you were here in Tallahassee. take care and good luck

 
At 23 August 2011 at 13:05 , Blogger Adam McCabe said...

Glad to her from you Mario! I was glad to help Mason and I was happy to hear he did well at Disney. Let him know I hope his first year back at the bottom of the food chain goes well and that both his high school and club season are a success. Thanks for reading the blog and I wish the best of luck for the both of you and the rest of your family!

Adam

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home