Sunday 14 August 2011

Community Shield


August 7th, 2011

Today me and a couple of first years went to a local pub to watch the Community Shield game, Manchester United vs. Manchester City. The pub was pretty packed and it was intense as the rival fans were shouting their chants, cussing at each other, and beers were being tossed, as “lads” were already drunk at 2:30 in the afternoon. It was nice though to sit, have a pint of beer, and be a part of this rich culture and environment, interacting with the British people, and really getting an understanding of their passion for the game. As I talked to some British guys they actually were surprised at how much I knew about the Barclays Premier League as we talked tactics. They say it is a totally different game over here and I tell you what the aroma and tension that was in the air was breathtaking throughout the ninety minutes.  I personally thought Manchester City played a decent game and took their few chances well, yet Manchester United were by far the better team and definitely deserved the win. The second goal by Manchester United (Nani’s first goal) was an absolute beautiful sequence of passing. I was mesmerized as it reminded me of Barcelona FC. That is the style of football I would love to play. As the game started to change toward Manchester United’s favor the buzz in the pub became more contagious and the fans were going wild. The Manchester City fans sat back in their chairs disappointed and praying they could finish the second half tied and maybe manage PK’s. But literally the last play of the game Nani scored on a break away and as the pub erupted and Manchester United fans went crazy I found myself lost in an abyss, not knowing what to do but to cheer (even though I dislike Manchester United) because at that moment I felt part of something so special and this was certainly a great first pub experience. Tomorrow is our first practice and I ready to start the soccer part of this experience with a bang.

1 Comments:

At 26 September 2011 at 17:41 , Blogger Nicola Wong said...

McCabe it's Nikki, and reading these make me feel so happy for you! Haha miss you x

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home